Wednesday, February 24, 2016

sorting

So again, it's been over a year since my last post. Apparently blogging is not a reliable form of communication for me. We'll see if 2016 is any different.

Over the last year, we moved from Europe to Florida, said goodbye to dear friends and set out to make new ones, traveled all the way across the states with a toddler, battled jet-lag, teething, and our own selfishness, and went on a church hunt for the fourth time in eight years. We also became homeowners again, and I'd forgotten how stressful it is to be solely responsible for all of the things that go wrong with property. Kudos to all of those landlords out there - it is not for me.

In all of this transition, there's one word that seems to come around again and again for me: sorting. We've been sorting through our lives for a year. Separating the important things from the unimportant, the meaningful from the unneccesary, the true from the false, the holy from the unholy. We've packed boxes, made countless trips to thrift stores, sold things can no longer use or store, put away baby items that my growing-way-too-fast toddler doesn't need anymore, and tried to put our beautiful filing cabinets to good use. But we've also sorted through some of the internal chaos and noise in our lives, endeavoring to get to a more peaceful place. We've addressed the need for boundaries in social media, taken a close look at what entertainment fills our home and minds, drawn lines around family time together, and considered how to serve in our church and community without violating the balance we so desire. It hasn't been simple or pain-free; there have been tears, words spoken in anger and frustration, and desperate prayers for strength and clarity.

This morning, I read something that resonates with this theme of sorting through life this year:

For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, 
there is disorder and every evil thing. 
But the wisdom from above is first pure, 
then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, 
full of mercy and good fruits,unwavering, 
without hypocrisy.
James 3:16-17, NASB

And so my prayer for 2016 will be to continue this task of sorting through life, to have a fuller understanding of the wisdom from above, and to rejoice that we don't do any of this without the strength of the Lord.  And maybe that I can be a more committed blogger. 

4 comments:

  1. I really loved this post. (I babbles about nonsense) but you're raw. You're direct and very inspiring. Very good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend. I hope it's encouraging!

      Delete
  2. I loved this, and your perspective. I feel like we have been in that same sorting/simplifying phase since we moved to CDA 3 years ago and I was just journaling about it last night. I miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! We miss you guys, too. I keep hoping we'll make it up to CDA at some point, but it just gets harder and harder. Florida isn't much closer than Germany!

      Delete